Cool Kitchen Gadgets, Products & Books
(that are Eco-Friendly too!)
All the products I mention on this website and in my blog and cooking videos can be found here plus many others. Here you will find books, cookbooks, appliances, gadgets, kitchen and household items that I love and I know you will love them too! I have used every item or read every book on here and can state unequivocally that they are both high quality and worth every penny. Message me if you have questions about anything on this page!
Food Storage, Drink Bottles and More
Plastic is everywhere and all of us are ingesting bits of plastic from what we store our food in, drink our water from, and breath in through their breakdown over time. They pose health and environmental problems and while it is nearly impossible to to eliminate all plastic we can reduce our dependency on it. The Life Without Plastic company has sought out unique and safe alternatives to many common plastic household items. Here are the ones I love:
1. I use these beautiful, stainless steel, airtight containers for everything from produce to nuts to grains to leftovers.
2. Why use plastic wrap and bags? Use these environmentally friendly, money-saving plastic-free wraps that are washable and reusable over and over. They come in small, medium, and large.
3. Still using plastic silverware on the go? Try these reusable bamboo utensils instead. Not only are they attractive but you will save money and feel better too knowing you aren't filling up landfills with all those single use utensils. They come in their own handy carrying case to keep them nice and clean in your lunch carrier.
4. Do you buy in bulk at the grocery store? Instead of the store's plastic bags that are unwieldy and flimsy, try these bulk bags.
6. When I'm on the go I take food with me so I am not tempted to buy something unhealthy. I love these plastic-free lunch bags and storage bags for that purpose.
7. This might be my favorite item. I was buying jug after jug of water in single use gallon size plastic bottles. I didn't want to use a filtering pitcher because they too are plastic. Then I found this charcoal filter. It comes in small, large, extra large, and giant sizes and is so easy to use. I use it in this lovely gallon size water pitcher. No more spending on bottled water!
8. Ice Cube Tray - Plastic from ice cube trays leaches into the ice. Love the old-fashioned look of these but without the aluminum that they were made with in the 1960s.
In the Kitchen Gadgets and Helps
1. Do you find mincing garlic and ginger tedious? I do and that is why I absolutely love this ceramic garlic grater set. It's hand made and comes with a garlic peeler, gathering brush, display stand. Works great for turmeric and ginger too!
2. Have you ever wanted to make a pot of coffee and discovered you are out of filters? I use a zero waste cloth reusable coffee filter made from hemp and cotton and never have that problem! Saves money too! Choose from cone style reusable coffee filter or basket style reusable coffee filter.
3. And another way to eliminate paper towel usage - dry your fruits and veggies on these produce drying mats. I have three of them and never have to use paper towels anymore. Machine washable.
4. Chopping herbs causes bruising turning them an unappetizing dark color. Tearing them is tedious. Try these herb shears instead to create a beautiful shower of fresh minced herbs!
5. Lemon and lime juices are common ingredients in plant-based recipes. Get the juice without the seeds using this stainless steel juicer.
7. Cooking is a chore when you have bad knives so a good set of knives is a kitchen must. The German manufacturer Wusthof makes the best knives in my opinion. They will last a lifetime with proper care. I've had mine for more than 20 years and they still work great! And you really only need a few. I regularly use the 5-inch Santoku, 7-inch Santoku, serrated paring knife, and straight edge paring knife. If you regularly slice bread, add the serrated bread knife. And don't forget a honing steel to keep your edges straight and a sharpener to keep a good edge! It's also not a bad idea to protect the blades (and your hands!) with these BPA-free knife edge guards.
8. I used to ignore recipes when it called for zest from a lemon, lime or other citrus because I didn't know how to get it off without the bitter pith. But zest adds so much flavor to salads, stir fries and baked goods so it's a "not to be ignored" ingredient. When I discovered the microplane grater zesting became a breeze!
9. When you don't use oil in baking sometimes things can stick to traditional stainless steel or ceramic pans. I've switched to silicone and everything pops out beautifully! I use these BPA Free Cupcake/Muffiin Pans for everything from muffins to plant-based cheeses and patés.
10. I only use five pots/pans in my kitchen - two non-stick fry pans and three stainless steel cooking pots of various sizes. You will be thrilled with the renowned quality of these All-Clad pans. I use these PFOA-Free All-Clad fry pans along with these 2 quart, 4 quart, and 6 quart stainless steel All-Clad pots. They are a true kitchen staple.
11. When you get serious about plant-based cooking it's time to buy a high-powered blender. The Vitamix is the choice for just about every plant-based chef. There are several models, but honestly the least expensive model will do the trick. For even more savings, get a refurbished Vitamix that will work like new.
12. Another nice to have item is a stand mixer. I actually use mine more for mashing vegetables and mixing casseroles than baking. I love my KitchenAid - works like the day I bought it after 30 years! It comes in a variety of fun colors that will match any kitchen decor!
1. If you ever use vanilla, then you must try this 100% pure vanilla powder. It is a healthy alternative to vanilla extract and according to the USDA, the vanilla bean is in the top 10 antioxidant foods. comes from a FAMILY OWNED business in Indonesia at FAIR TRADE PRICES. The beans are ground moments before packaging to seal the freshness inside. Use it as you would vanilla extract in a one for one exchange. It will last a lot longer too as it is a generous package.
2. Nutritional yeast is used in many plant-based diet recipes. It's a very healthy deactivated yeast packed with B-vitamins, folic acid, selenium, zinc, and protein. It does not in any way resemble or taste like brewers yeast or bread yeast. It is a yellow flake (use the flake kind not the powder if possible) that dissolves into the food you add it to imparting a cheese-nut flavor.
1. Tru Earth Laundry Eco-Strips - This brilliant product is truly my favorite new discovery - plastic-free, zero-waste laundry detergent. This eco-friendly laundry detergent comes in tiny, pre-measured strips of liquidless detergent that you just toss in the wash. They are hypoallergenic, vegan, biodegradable and free of phosphates, parabens, dyes and bleach and are shipped in completely recyclable cardboard envelopes. And using these ingenious laundry strips means no more measuring, no more mess, no more wasted space and no more giant plastic laundry jugs going to landfills!
2. Wool Dryer Balls by Tru Earth - Most dryer manufacturers do not recommend using dryer sheets as they can damage your dryer over time. Finally, you can stop using synthetic fabric softeners and dryer sheets that are bad for our planet, can harm your skin, and leave a chemical residue on your clothes and expensive dryer. These handmade 100% Premium Organic New Zealand Wool Dryer Balls soften laundry naturally, shorten drying time, save energy, and will last for more than 1,000 loads!
1. Formulated with plant-based enzymes and free of fragrances, dyes, phosphates, and chlorine bleach, I love Seventh Generation dishwasher pods, laundry detergent, and surface cleaner. Based in Vermont, Seventh Generation is certified to be better for workers, better for communities, and better for the environment. By choosing Seventh Generation products, you’re helping nurture the health of the next seven generations.
2. When it comes to cleaning dishes and pots, nothing beats the beautiful scent and cleaning power of Meyers Dish Soap. I used to buy cheap brands in the grocery store only to run out in a week because they are so thin and watered down. Not anymore. Mrs. Meyer's produces cruelty free dish soaps that contain plant derived cleaning ingredients to make grease disappear yet gentle enough to use on your hands. They come in refill bottles too.
The China Study by T. Colin Campbell and Thomas M. Campbell II
Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes by Neal D. Barnard, MD
21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart by Neal D. Barnard, MD
Your Body in Balance: The New Science of Food, Hormones, and Health by Neal D Barnard MD FACC and Lindsay Nixon
Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease by Caldwell B. Esselstyn Jr. MD
The Engine 2 Diet by Rip Esselstyn
The Cancer Survivor's Guide: Foods that Help You Fight Back by Neal D. Barnard, MD
Forks Over Knives: The Plant-Based Way to Health, Gene Stone, Editor
The PlantPure Nation Cookbook by Kim Campbell
The Engine 2 Diet Cookbook by Rip Esselstyn and Jane Esselstyn
The Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease Cookbook by Ann Crile Esselstyn and Jane Esselstyn
Forks Over Knives: Flavor! by Darshana Thacker
The China Study Cookbook: Over 120 Whole Food, Plant-Based Recipes by LeAnne Campbell
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
If you are a member of the Amazon Smile program, credit still goes to your chosen organization.